Clear all

How to change the logging rate

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
19.5 K Views
(@bbroene)
Topic starter  

Just received the GPS Data Logger and noticed that it is logging every sensor about 13 times per second. So far I have not found instructions on how to change this. Can you tell me how this is accomplished?

(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

Simply change it in the GPS LOGGER SOFTWARE.
As soon as you change the rate the Logger will allways record with this rate even in stand alone operation. It will also boot up with this rate as stand alone unit after power down.
Only if you connect it to the GPS logger software for the first time or reconnect it to the PC the rate will be changed to 10 records/second to keep it stable running with slow PCs (but as mentioned it can be changed at any time).
You can see the used rate if you look at the recording LED (flickerspeed = rate).

Snip

ReplyQuote
(@rbinder)

I did that, exactly. The output is STILL in one-second intervals. How can I get the output to be in 1/35th second intervals, or whatever I choose?
When I do this, how do I know, for sure, without any question, that the logger is doing what I ask? I've been told to look at the "blink-rate" of one of the LED's. I'm a bit challenged to, by eye, count to tell if it is 35/second or 20/second or what.

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

You can select the following recording rates per second in the software: 1,2,5,10,15,20,25,30,35.
You can easily see the change of the LED flicker rate when changing the recording rate.

Please note that the LATEST version of the GPS software can now save CSV files with the full data rate (The old version ALLWAYS saved 1 data set per second even if 35 have been selected).
If you save the data as RAW data you allways get the selected data rate saved (e.g. 35 data sets per second).

Snip

ReplyQuote
(@rbinder)

So I was able to get the $PAAG, $GPRMC AND $GPGGA data from the logger.

Opening up the .nmea files by first opening the text editor, setting it to read "all files", and then opening it was the trick. Clicking on the .nmea file itself doesn't work, as there's no program associated with it.

The $PAAG data looks like it reads 30+ times a second. Fine.
How do I get the $GPRMC and $GPGGA to read at that same (35) samples/second rate?
The reason I ask is that the speed seems only to be in the GPRMC set, and elevation only in the GPGGA set. It shows every second, that's it. Speed and elevation are all I really care about. Do I need to do a delta-distance (X,Y,Z)/delta-time calc to get this?

Does the latest software update do ALL at the same 35/second rate? Where is that available, and what is the release #?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

The $GPRMC and $GPGGA are connected to the GPS which is limited to 1 data set per second. So far there was no need in a faster update rate for the GPS )which would also result in a higher power consumption).
But since the used GPS modul can offer 10 updates per second we might offer a new firmware update to optional get the full GPS rate (10 per second).

Snip

ReplyQuote
 JonC
(@jonc)
Eminent Member

I would also be interested in the GPS recording at 10hz.

There also seems to be some severe delays with recording the data, so it isn't actually recording at the time it says.

My altitude data is also 10 hectopascals less than other recorders.

This could be a great device, but needs a little more development.

Happy to help however I can.

Jon.

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

There also seems to be some severe delays with recording the data, so it isn't actually recording at the time it says.

So far we are not aware about any delay and it should be quite impossible... Do you have more specific data?

My altitude data is also 10 hectopascals less than other recorders.

As mentioned in viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1587&p=4026&hilit=weather#p4026 this value highly depends on the weather conditions and can be calibrated with the GPS height information.

Snip

ReplyQuote
 JonC
(@jonc)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I think my comments about delays in writing data is incorrect, and is probably due to errors in processing of the raw data. My altitude data now seems to be correct as well.

I will start a new thread about some thoughts for a firmware update.

Many thanks,

Jon.

ReplyQuote
 Jimb
(@jimb)

Posted by: Moderator

The $GPRMC and $GPGGA are connected to the GPS which is limited to 1 data set per second. So far there was no need in a faster update rate for the GPS )which would also result in a higher power consumption).
But since the used GPS modul can offer 10 updates per second we might offer a new firmware update to optional get the full GPS rate (10 per second).

Has the firmware now been updated to allow for 10 Hz GPS?

ReplyQuote
Share: