3 Users
0 Likes
61.6 K Views
 JonC
(@jonc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello again,

Following on from your comments on a previous thread, I thought I would post some suggestions that could be considered in the next firmware upgrade.

1. Up to 10 Hz sample rate for GPS position.

2. Temperatures sampling from either the barometric sensor or the accelerometer sensor (or both?).

3. Selectable G range for the accelerometer (2, 4, or 8).

4. Selectable low pass filter for the gyro, to help reduce noisy output.

5. Ability to transfer files from micro SD through the USB port rather than removing the card.

6. More accurate sample rate. When 10 samples per second is selected, it should always record 10 samples, not sometimes 9 sometimes 10.

Thanks,

Jon.

(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

1. Up to 10 Hz sample rate for GPS position.

Yes we are working on this...

2. Temperatures sampling from either the barometric sensor or the accelerometer sensor (or both?).

We would need to add another sensor so this is only available with a new hardware (just working on a V2 of the hardware with a faster CPU, more RAM and 1 or 2 more sensors)

3. Selectable G range for the accelerometer (2, 4, or 8).

Yes we are working on this. BTW: It will also include a 16G option.

4. Selectable low pass filter for the gyro, to help reduce noisy output.

For sure not possible in the firmware (not enough calculation power left) but you can do this by averaging the data. See posting viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1633

5. Ability to transfer files from micro SD through the USB port rather than removing the card.

This is already working. Use the PC Logger-Software to read the data from the µSD via USB, no problem (but takes much longer than reading directly from a removed card).

6. More accurate sample rate. When 10 samples per second is selected, it should always record 10 samples, not sometimes 9 sometimes 10.

Are you sure? This should be quite stable...

Snip

ReplyQuote
 JonC
(@jonc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

The sensor you have fitted for barometric pressure can also read temperature, and also your accelerometer sensor can read temperature. It would just need firmware I think?

The selectable G range I thought would be limited to +/-8G as that is the limit of the sensor that is fitted? As 'ambient' is 1G that gives us a useable range of -7G to +9G. More is better if you know how to make it +/- 16G.

The gyro sensor has selectable low pass filters built-in, computation is not required I think?

As I am using raw data I have not been using the Logger software so wasn't aware of the ability to read data through USB. It would be nice if the device was recognised as a removable media device (maybe when switched off, but plugged in to USB?)

I will try to find some data that shows the irregular sample rate.

If a V2 is being considered, can I suggest having it wifi enabled so that it can stream live data over wifi?

Thanks,

Jon.

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

The sensor you have fitted for barometric pressure can also read temperature, and also your accelerometer sensor can read temperature. It would just need firmware I think?

Yes, we are just testing if those data make sense and if it can fit in the firmware (just a matter of memory so far).

The gyro sensor has selectable low pass filters built-in, computation is not required I think?

We might be able to offer a On/Off switch in next firmware upgrade

As I am using raw data I have not been using the Logger software so wasn't aware of the ability to read data through USB. It would be nice if the device was recognised as a removable media device (maybe when switched off, but plugged in to USB?)

FTDI does no support that handling, sorry.

If a V2 is being considered, can I suggest having itand wifi enabled so that it can stream live data over wifi?

Wifi or Bluetooth might be possible but the power consumption fo sure will reduce the battery stand alone time a lot...

Snip

ReplyQuote
 JonC
(@jonc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

As the GPS logger has such a good battery life, having wifi would not be an issue for my requirements, but I understand how it could be for other applications. Obviously it would be best to have it switchable so the user can choose whether it is on or off to preserve battery life. Live streaming data would be really good. Also, it would be great to be able to control the device from wifi, being able to turn the logging on/off, and maybe adjusting some of the settings.

For the low pass filter of the gyro, I think there is a range of different filers available so a selection of different filers would be good to allow for different applications.

Is it possible for the timestamp of the sample to be recorded as a decimal of a second, rather than a sample number within that second? For example, when set to 30 samples a second, could the 26th sample taken at 13:12:08 be recorded as 131208.87 rather than 131208.26? This would make it easier to match up with data from other different sources.

Thanks,

Jon.

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

As the GPS logger has such a good battery life, having wifi would not be an issue for my requirements, but I understand how it could be for other applications. Obviously it would be best to have it switchable so the user can choose whether it is on or off to preserve battery life. Live streaming data would be really good. Also, it would be great to be able to control the device from wifi, being able to turn the logging on/off, and maybe adjusting some of the settings.

Yes the Wifi will offer a on/off mode to save battery life.

For the low pass filter of the gyro, I think there is a range of different filers available so a selection of different filers would be good to allow for different applications.

As stated befor this might be possible with a firmware update of existing units.

Is it possible for the timestamp of the sample to be recorded as a decimal of a second, rather than a sample number within that second? For example, when set to 30 samples a second, could the 26th sample taken at 13:12:08 be recorded as 131208.87 rather than 131208.26? This would make it easier to match up with data from other different sources.

Not possible with existing units but for sure with the new hardware to come.

Snip

ReplyQuote
 JonC
(@jonc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

What is a realistic timescale for new firmware for the GPS logger? Is it something that is developed quickly, maybe a few weeks, or would it take maybe 6 months?

I'm looking forward to seeing how new firmware could improve the use of this device.

Many thanks,

Jon.

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

We are just working on it. It should be a matter of weeks not months...

BTW: We also want to integrate some more sensors (e.g. humidity), so any suggestions are welcome...

Snip

ReplyQuote
 JonC
(@jonc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

For adding new sensors, I was going to suggest relative humidity but you have already thought of that one. A temperature sensor (if the 2 current sensors are not reliable data). Maybe a built-in microphone to record ambient noise? (Although this may take up too much space on the memory card).

It could be useful to have some analog inputs for users to chose their own external sensors? Perhaps 4 analog inputs, with selectable ranges of input voltage?

Jon.

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

For adding new sensors, I was going to suggest relative humidity but you have already thought of that one.

OK, done :D

A temperature sensor (if the 2 current sensors are not reliable data).

OK, done (we will have even 3 later on) :D

Maybe a built-in microphone to record ambient noise? (Although this may take up too much space on the memory card).

Hmmm, have to think about that, but i think it is worth trying to add it. :?:

It could be useful to have some analog inputs for users to chose their own external sensors? Perhaps 4 analog inputs, with selectable ranges of input voltage?

That would cause to much trouble and failures (blown up units by using to high voltages etc.). But we might be able to use the USB as a SLAVE, then you could connect what ever you want via USB.

Snip

ReplyQuote
 JonC
(@jonc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

External sensors via USB could be useful, as long as you give information of how an external sensor can be fitted this way? Obviously an A/D converter will be needed initially, but then how to get that to talk to the USB? Maybe you could make add-modules that could plug into the USB?

For me, I would like to be able to record force inputs on aircraft controls, whilst the logger is recording what is happening to the aircraft. Ideally I would need to record 6 force inputs (x, y, and z, in 2 directions). Would an slave USB sensor be able to send 6 signals or would it only be 1?

Jon.

ReplyQuote
(@johnscol)

we are going to do a test in 2 weeks time, so if there is any chance of a warrenty free early copy of the firmware with a G limit greater than 8G that would be very useful to us.

i dont mind if it trashes the logger, and we have to wait for a further firmware update etc

thanks

colin

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

I dont think its available within that time frame and dont forget you have to send the unit back for upgrade too...

Snip

ReplyQuote
(@johnscol)

ok thanks. what will be the process for sending the unit back , any cost, and likely turnaround, just so we know what to expect, when it is ready.

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

Only the freight cost.

Snip

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: