Clear all

Spectran NF-5035 recording all frequency bins

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 bobi
(@bobi)
Topic starter  

Hello guys, I am pretty new to writing P Code and will really appreciate some help or pointers to how to write a program to use the Data Logger to record all frequency bins(not only the peaks).

I'm using the NF-5035 with the 1MB Memory Expansion and the external 35dB Preamplifier. Using the external preamplifier, I'm setting up the Sensor to be the Analog Input. I need to explore the freq. range between 1 and 1Mhz and I'm looking at it in dBm. This setup works great with the MCS software but I'm afraid that by being connected to the computer this changes my signal as my computer is creating different grounding conditions for the hand-held device and also there's EMI noise coming from my monitor, touchpad, etc.

I think that the 1MB memory should be more than enough for recording a couple FFTs. The size of the FFTs I get with MCS is around 2000 bins with my setup so I guess I need a custom program in the Data Logger to log a whole FFT. Does the SPECTRAN already has something that can do that or I need a custom program?

I saw this question

Spectran NF-5035, does not record data at low frequency

but in my case I need top store everything(as much as the memory allows).

Thanks and greetings!
Bobi

(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

Hi Bobi,

Sorry but a real sample recording is not supported this is only possible via USB streaming (e.g. MCS software or use our SDK).

Snip

ReplyQuote
 bobi
(@bobi)
Topic starter  

Hi,

Oh OK, I see. Actually is the usb connection isolated in the hand held devices? I mean when the device is connected to the PC, does that affect the signal measured by the Spectrum? I assume that it does and I'm trying to figure out if it affects it much or it's insignificant.

Thanks!
Bobi

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

No it is not isolated.
For magnetic fields it should make no difference but for electric fiels is does: You will have a grounding with your connected USB cable and connected equipment producing wrong measurements with E-field sensor. Therefore us an external isolated USB cable and the problem is solved.

Snip

ReplyQuote
Share: