Notifications
Clear all

Measuring with MCS and GPS - problem

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@tdidoo)
Topic starter  

We have HF-60105 with gps receiver. We measure FM radio for example 93,5 MHz. In MCS we all set and then started to record. We measured trace in 20 min duration. On path we drive through tunnel. Ofcourse in tunnel gps didn't collect data's. Then we open and analyze trace and export it to .kml file. Everywhere where gps was active we have data of level of signal, but in tunnel we see in google earth just straight line. I understand that in the tunnel there is not a GPS signal and thus the conversion was not possible to display the signal level. However when we replay a trace in MCS we saw in spectrum that there are data's of signal level. My question is, can we export data's (in tunnel) directly from MCS to .csv? I tried to do conversion from .mdr to .csv with open the trace and then record it again in .csv type, but when i open it there were a lot of data's of signal level (707 samples*51 resolution=app 35000 lines in excell). I understand MCS calculate min, max and avg value from 51 samples in one sweep time. Can we export just avg values from 701 samples?
Briefly: outdoors with gps and and mcs software works perfectly. Data from tunnel are hard to get or there is some trick?

Thank you for answers

(@mm_dev)
Reputable Member Admin

The exported CSV should contain one line per sweep (with one column per frequency). If you get 35000 lines in Excel you either actually exported 35000 sweeps or Excel made an error during the import (note: the CSV uses semicolon as field delimiter).
The MCS does not calculate an average for each sweep, and maximum/minimum are also only calculated when actually needed by a view, but not stored. Just use Excel to calculate whatever you need from the exported data.

ReplyQuote
(@tdidoo)
Topic starter  

I tried again with new SW but i get the same numbers of data (app 35.000). In status bar in MCS is written Playback 100% (708/708) so it should be 708 lines in Excel, but there are 708x51=36108. I can't do graph from this data's becouse there are too many. Am I doing something wrong when I export from .mdr to .csv?
My steps are:
1. open .mdr file
2. when ask for delays between sweeps i click cancel
3. start record in .csv
4. press on start to start replay
5. when it comes to the end i click stop recording
6. open .csv in excel

We measure only one frequency with zero span!

If I open .mdr file in notepad I see for every coordinate 51 different values. So my conclusion is that MCS takes all values not just one value for each sweep. Any help?
I attached .7z which contains .mdr and .csv files.

Also we noticed in latest version of MCS, when we measure some frequency and we have small sample time (less than 200ms) it hangs up. This happens on multiple computers (win 7 OS). With version 2.0 with same settings is OK. Maybe bug?

Best regards

ReplyQuote
(@mm_dev)
Reputable Member Admin

If I open .mdr file in notepad I see for every coordinate 51 different values. So my conclusion is that MCS takes all values not just one value for each sweep. Any help?

That's correct, and normal mode of operation. The issue is that you're doing a zero-span sweep which is a bit of a special case. Technically the CSV export is correct: In zero-span (time-domain) mode you don't actually have sweeps, just individual values at the same frequency. Any grouping done by the CSV exporter would be arbitrary, and customers explicitly requested this one-value-per-line format for the CSV export.

About the MCS hangup, this wasn't reproducible in a initial first test here, but we'll look into it deeper.

ReplyQuote
Share: