Clear all

Confused with Attenuation Factors

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
11.7 K Views
(@raspeig)
Topic starter  

I've recently acquired two spectran devices (NF5035 and HF60105) and I'm very confused with respect to the right settings for the attenuation factor. For instance when I measure power lines at home with the E-Field sensor I've got very different averaged values: 70 V/m (0 dB), 200 V/m (10 dB), 700 V/m (auto/20 dB), 2 kV/m (30 dB) and 7 kV/m (40 dB); attenuation lesser than 30 dB shows HIGH at the display, but 70 V/m seems a reasonable value for a home environment. In all cases readings are quite stable, ¿ which is the right attenuation ? On the other hand, using the HF60105 for WLAN measurement do not show any great differences in any of the attenuation settings. ¿ can you explain the logic to choose the right attenuation factor ?

(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

If you use the power key, a 70 V/m field should show a quite stable readings even if you change the attenuators. Which settings do you use?

If the results do not change for WLan you don't have any signal, a wrong setup or no usefull WLan signal (only PIN, no traffic).

Snip

ReplyQuote
(@raspeig)
Topic starter  

I used the Power Key (number 2) and afterwards changed only the attenuation using the menu key. With 0 dB attenuation (default) the reading is round 5 uT, with Auto the reading goes to 45 uT, same with 10 dB; with 20 dB the reading is only 15 uT, with 30 dB the reading is 45 uT and 140 uT with 40 dB. Seems a hardware failure or a wrong calibration. I've repeated several times the experiment and always I've got the same result. I've done a firmware reset and update following your instructions with the same result.

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

Do you have a 30MHz expansion?

Snip

ReplyQuote
(@raspeig)
Topic starter  

Yes I've got a 30 MHz expansion.

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

Now, that's why you can't measure below 1kHz.
See forum at viewtopic.php?f=31&t=518&p=857&hilit=30mhz#p857

Snip

ReplyQuote
(@raspeig)
Topic starter  

>Thanks so much.
ç

ReplyQuote
Share: