2 Users
0 Likes
10.5 K Views
urur
 urur
(@urur)
Topic starter  

Hi.

I did measurement of E-field beneath power transmission line. I was measuring vertical component of E-field vector.

I put the unit in two different positions (both for measuring Y-axis, as described on page 43 in manual), and I got two very different readings (pictures attached): 353V/m in position 1, and 1049V/m in position 2. Position 2 is 180 degrees rotation of position 1.

Why did I get different readings?

(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

Did you set the attenuator right?

Snip

ReplyQuote
urur
 urur
(@urur)
Topic starter  

Settings were the same for both positions: 40dB attenutor.

For 0dB, 10dB, 20dB and 30dB there was "high" note on the display, so we used 40dB setting.

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

High is not the problem, it must be consistent, if its NOT you have wrong settings, see viewtopic.php?f=31&t=762&p=3229&hilit=attenuator#p1528

Snip

ReplyQuote
urur
 urur
(@urur)
Topic starter  

Which position of the unit is recommended for measuring uniform electric field below power transmission lines (only vertical axes)?

In user manual, it is said that the E-field sensor is located in the upper-left corner of the unit (Y-axes is going through rear side of the unit). Does the position of the unit rear side have the impact on the readings?

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

On electric field ANYTHING is possible at near ground position since the sensor is inside the unit thats why you should use the max hold function and use the highest reading you get.

Snip

ReplyQuote
Share: